Whether you’re going running, heading to the mall, or spending a day walking in a local park, you will need a solid pair of shoes to provide your feet with the support and balance they need.
We know just how massive the shoe industry is today, but did you know that, on average, women own anywhere from 17 to 27 pairs of shoes at any given time?
Table of Contents
The average woman will purchase approximately 1–2 new pairs of shoes each year, depending on her needs as well as the budget she has to spend.
For runners, hikers, and those who travel for work, purchasing additional pairs of shoes on an annual basis is not uncommon.
The number of pairs of shoes you actually need to keep on hand will vary depending on where you live, the climate you live in, as well as the amount of walking or moving around you do.
On average, just 1–3 pairs of shoes and boots typically suffice for the average individual year-round, excluding heavy-duty rain or winter boots.
On average, women will wear anywhere between 1 and 4 of their favorite pairs of shoes from their wardrobe, even if they have plenty of more options.
Women admit to wasting shoes or allowing shoes to sit without ever wearing them, which contributes to waste and clutter over time.
More than 50% of all women admit to owning shoes in their current wardrobe that they have never worn, publicly or in private.
In some instances, women also admit that the shoes they do not wear are too uncomfortable or do not fit properly.
To minimize the risk of overspending on shoes and adding to the clutter of your closet, use the following tips whenever you are in the market for a new pair for yourself or for your children:
- Assess the current shoes you own and organize them by type, quality, and comfort.
- Eliminate or sell shoes that no longer serve a purpose for you or no longer fit properly.
- Create a list of the shoes you need and why you need them.
- Prioritize your list of shoes to determine what type of shoe is a necessity now to avoid purchasing shoes that are not useful or that are not required at the time.
- Try on each pair of shoes you are thinking of buying, even if you believe they will fit you.
- Walk around in shoes to get a feel for the material, height, and overall weight of the shoes themselves. This will help you to determine if a pair of shoes is truly suitable for you.
One of the leading causes of the overbuying of shoes and other clothing garments is shopping addiction.
Shopping addiction is a serious addiction that impacts millions of individuals – mostly women – each year.
Shoe addictions are also legitimate and are not as broad or widespread as traditional shopping addictions but can lead to an unnecessary accumulation of shoes for no reason when left unmonitored.
On average, individuals in the US purchase approximately 7.8 pairs of shoes each year, or around 31.2 pairs of shoes for an entire family each year in the country.
Women love a variety of shoes. Whether you are going dancing, hiking, or spending your day walking in a big city, there is a type and style of shoe for just about everyone.
The most popular types of shoes include casual flats and sneakers along with comfortable heels.
Although the fashion industry is ever-evolving, some of the top leading shoe brands remain the same.
Some of the most expensive shoe brands include Valentino, which designs shoes for both men and women alike.
This Italian brand of shoes will run you $975 per pair of shoes on average, making it one of the most expensive global shoe brands.
Some of the most common types of shoes that are purchased and worn by women include:
- Sneakers/tennis shoes
- High heels
- Flip flops
Other types of shoes that are not as common but can be found in most wardrobes might include pumps, loafers, and stilettos.
When shopping for shoes, it is easy to get excited and distracted, causing you to purchase more shoes than you originally set out to.
Women are most likely to impulse buy flip-flops as well as other affordable sandals.
Flip flops are considered some of the cheapest types of shoes on the market, which is why so many purchases of flip flops are impulsive and not planned.
On average, women typically have 2 pairs of sneakers in their wardrobe.
Sneakers are great to grab on the go, or even while heading out on a walk or training for the marathon.
A pair of sneakers is a must-have for anyone who enjoys casual walking and outings.
While women may keep anywhere from 4–5 pairs of high heels in their closets at any given time, this is not always necessary.
On average, women prefer 1–2 pairs of high heels that they typically go for due to comfort and/or sheer accessibility.
If you are trying to minimize clutter in your wardrobe and eliminate shoes you no longer wear or use, you can do so by selecting heels that are strapped or have additional protection and heels that are of a neutral color, such as beige, black, or white.
Having a standard pair of black heels can significantly provide you with more wardrobe options while preventing you from adding clutter to your current shoe collection.
Keeping a pair of loafers or comfortable flats on hand can also come in handy, especially for casual use.
On average, women are likely to own at least one pair of loafers in their closets.
Keeping at least 1 to 2 pairs of boots in your wardrobe year-round is typically the average for most women.
This does not include the number of pairs of boots you also wear during the wintertime.
On average, women own just one to two pairs of winter boots that they keep stored in their closets or away with their wintertime wardrobe garments.
Women on average own anywhere from 3 to 4 pairs of open-toed sandals or flip flops, depending on where they live.
If you live in a region that is prone to warm, sunny beach weather, you are likely to have more pairs of flip flops and sandals than you do traditional boots or winter boots.
The number of pairs of sandals and flip flops a woman owns will be relative to her location, lifestyle, as well as her own preferred sense of style.
Determining if you own too many shoes is subjective and can’t be quantified with a simple calculator. To determine if you own too many shoes, consider the following:
- How many pairs of shoes do you currently have in your wardrobe? Count all of the pairs you have, even winter boots and shoes that are meant for special occasions.
- What type of shoes do you own and why? Do all of your shoes serve a purpose?
- Which shoes do you wear the most? This can help you to determine which type of shoes you really do not need more of or the type of shoes you can unload, sell, or throw away.
- Are you putting all of your shoes to good use? You will know the answer to this, and this will allow you to move forward with the decluttering of your closet if you currently own too many pairs of shoes.
Minimizing the cluttering of your wardrobe by eliminating shoes you no longer want, wear, or need is one of the best ways to free up space and focus on functionality over visual appeal.
When you are able to free up closet space that is being taken up by shoes you never wear, you can think more clearly and focus on which pieces are the most useful and comfortable.
Some tips to help minimize the shoe clutter in your own wardrobe might include:
- Take stock of what pairs of shoes you currently own.
- Make a list of the shoes you wear the most, and what styles you prefer.
- Prioritize shoes based on how frequently you wear them and how important they are for the current lifestyle you lead or the climate you are living in.
- Set aside shoes that have never been worn, no longer fit, or are uncomfortable and are unlikely to be worn again.
- Use apps, online sales, and even friends to help unload the shoes you no longer want or have use for in your wardrobe.
On average, a family in the United States spends approximately $400 on shoes each year.
Those who fall in the age bracket of 35–44 spend the most on shoes out of all age brackets and between both genders.
There is no quick and easy way to calculate this number, but it is possible to get an estimate of how much you are spending on shoes each year based on the number of shoes you purchase normally on average.
One national survey estimated that women on average will spend approximately $25,000 on shoes in their lifetime, purchasing 469 pairs in total.
One of the best ways to save money on shoes for any outfit is to keep up with popular shopping apps, search for hot sales, and even seek out BOGO offers.
It is also best to shop for seasonal shoes as each season is coming to an end for the best discounts possible.