Getting married is often one of the most memorable events in one’s life.
Whether you are getting married for the first time or if you are giving marriage a try for a second time around, marriage is a celebration that is embraced around the world regardless of region and culture.
In the United States, it is estimated that approximately 2.4 million weddings take place in the country each year.
Table of Contents
In the US, most marriages currently occur in the state of Nevada. In Nevada, the marriage rate is currently 26.7 per 1,000 Nevada residents, as of the 2018 census.
It is important to note that the high number of marriages that occur in the state of Nevada are mostly due to couples tying the knot in the city of Las Vegas, even those who are not residents of Nevada.
On the flip side of the coin, the state that has the lowest number of marriages each year in the United States is the state of Louisiana.
In the state of Louisiana, the marriage rate is around 6 per 1,000, which is significantly lower than Nevada’s 26.7 marriages per 1,000 residents.
On average worldwide, women are around 23.3 years of age when they first choose to get married.
Men, on the other hand, are around 26.6 years old when they first choose to tie the knot.
Those who choose to get married in the US often do so once they are a bit older.
Both men and women in the United States get married for the first time at 28 years old on average.
This is significantly older than a few decades prior. In the US, women, on average, are also 2.5% younger than the men they choose to marry.
According to a survey provided by Statista in 2017, approximately 27% of those who participated in the survey were not interested in getting married currently or at any time in the foreseeable future.
The current divorce rate in the United States is approximately 2.9 individuals per 1,000 out of the entire population, which currently stands at around 300 million residents.
Unfortunately, this means that in many states throughout the country, the divorce rate is currently higher than 50% in total.
Regardless of where someone is from or what region they live in, there are many reasons why a couple may file for divorce.
From irreconcilable differences to infidelity, there are many triggers that can lead to divorce, regardless of how long a couple has been together.
In the United States, nearly 17% of all divorces that occur are due to infidelity from one partner or both. The most common reasons people file for divorce include:
- Infidelity and adultery
- Desertion or estrangement in the marriage
- Loss of physical attraction
- Lack of emotional connection
- Impotence or inability to conceive
- Inability to get along and/or irreconcilable differences
- Addictions (gambling, drugs, etc.)
Both Israel and Egypt have the highest marriage rates in the world as of 2018, with around 10 marriages per 1,000 residents.
Additionally, Fiji is another country with a high marriage rate, with a rate of 9.8 marriages per 1,000 residents in the country.
Currently, New Zealand and Australia are the two countries in which couples are waiting the longest to tie the knot.
Gaza and the West Bank are known to have the most marriages in the world.
Unsurprisingly, China is leading the way with approximately 10.4 million marriages in the year 2018 alone.
As a country of billions of people, it is no surprise that so many weddings are taking place in China.
Qatar is the country with the fewest marriages in the world. In fact, Qatar has a marriage rate of only 1.4% per 1,000 residents as of 2017.
In Qatar, marriage is not common among residents, tourists, or visitors.
The timeline of planning your wedding will depend on your own schedule and when you and your partner plan to tie the knot.
Once you have agreed upon and set a date for your wedding, you can begin planning your wedding immediately, as it may take anywhere from a couple of months to nearly a year or more to complete the process.
You will know that you are ready to get married once you are with a suitable and reliable partner that shares similar life goals and outlooks as you.
Once you are familiar with living with your partner and you know their own prerogatives in life, you can determine if the two of you are the right fit for one another.
The requirements for getting married to another individual are not entirely strict, although this can change and vary based on the location you are in and the region you choose to tie the knot in.
In most locations throughout the United States, you are required to complete the process of filing for a wedding certificate.
You will need to register for a wedding certificate to begin living as a married couple, even after your official wedding ceremony is over and has been completed.
No. In fact, you can choose to have just about any individual help to officiate your wedding as long as they have received a certificate of being an ordained minister.
Even if you choose to have a friend officiate your wedding, they can become an ordained minister in most states throughout the US by purchasing a certificate and taking the time to complete the application process.
Getting married can be one of the best experiences of your life; however, planning a wedding may feel stressful if you are ill-prepared.
Knowing how to properly prepare for and plan your upcoming wedding can help alleviate unnecessary stress.
Some tips to keep in mind when you are planning your own wedding without the help of a wedding planner include:
- Set a budget: Always set a budget before you begin planning your wedding. Knowing your limits in terms of finances can help prevent overspending or reserving venues that are well above your own spending limit. Speak with your partner to determine the budget that is right for you and the wedding you both have in mind.
- Location, location, location: The venue you choose for your wedding will also determine many other amenities and costs you will need to keep in mind. From hosting a backyard wedding to renting a large venue for an extended ceremony, there are many options in terms of location when planning a wedding of any kind.
- Amenities: Consider which amenities are most important to you. Do you want to remember your wedding with a video montage and professional photos? What type of food do you plan to offer to your guests? Will you be providing unique features such as games, goody bags, or even an open bar? Take the time to create a list of the amenities that are most important to you for your big day.
- Build a support network: When you are getting married, finding a maid of honor or a best man is a way to get some help with the planning process of your bridal shower and in some cases, even the wedding itself. You can also ask close friends and family members to assist you with the planning of your wedding if you begin to feel overwhelmed.
- Don’t compare: Do not compare yourself and your own wedding preferences to the types of weddings others choose to have. On your special day, the only two people that should matter most are you and your soon-to-be husband or wife.
- Take it slow: Avoid rushing into your wedding and take time to enjoy the process with your partner to make the most of the experience.
Getting married in some cultures is considered customary, so it is not out of the ordinary for couples in arranged marriages to get married much sooner than those who choose to take their time to get to know their partner.
In other instances, couples may feel an immediate attraction to one another and may choose to rush into tying the knot even before they have lived together.
Ultimately, this comes down to personal preference as well as where you are at in your life.
Waiting to get married is also commonplace in many different cultures and regions around the world.
It is also possible to wait longer to get married to a partner out of personal preference.
Because marriage is a big decision for most, taking time to ensure you are with the right partner can result in a much longer-lasting marriage together in the future.
Determining how long you should wait to get married will depend on your feelings towards your significant other as well as the plans you have agreed upon together.
Being open and honest with your partner will also help you in the planning process once you begin thinking about marriage to one another.
Only you and your partner will know when it is the right time to commit to one another and tie the knot.
Knowing how many weddings there are each year in the United States can help you put your own wedding vision and planning into perspective.
When you are familiar with all that is involved in planning a wedding and you know how the wedding industry operates, you can plan your big day without hassle and maintain your peace of mind.